Hello again. It’s been 11 months since the last post and I was trying to sail off into the sunset but that was not to be. I’m back by popular demand and a bit of arm twisting by friends and family. So, without further ado…
We have not been idle while hunkered down awaiting the vaccine. The first project of note was the roof on the old post office.
The post office had been leaking since we bought the place and it seemed like a good idea to sort that out before it leaked onto something important. We chose the green tin which is great stuff that can be walked on, as well as, being approved for the historic neighborhood. One drawback, though, is that the metal is a bit slick and I found myself, on several occasions, gradually sliding toward the edge. At one point, I had to buy more roofing screws because the bag I was using took the plunge and I couldn’t find it until after the project was done.
Meanwhile, the hanging of a pretty piece of glass triggered another project.
Before I even knew about the hotel, I had this piece of confetti glass. It was too pretty to cut so I made a redwood frame for it and gave it to Katie for a birthday present. After moving into the hotel, we rediscovered this gem and hung it in the window above the front door where it reminded us constantly that we have a lot more stained glass in the plans.
The first step toward attaining our glazing goals was to convert the rocket shop to a glass shop.
We scored a sturdy drafting table from a friend and it turned out to be the perfect height for glass cutting. The transom at the first floor bathroom was the first endeavor. It’s all straight cuts to help us with the learning curve. Also, the clear glass parts were cut from the original 150 year old glass salvaged from the old hotel windows.
Oh, but wait. I forgot that the rest of the bathroom got finished out as well. The shower has tile and a surround and the ceiling got crown molding which I will talk about in the next post.
Now that we are starting to finish out the interior, I have the chance to use some of the hardware that I’ve collected over the years. Below is a Victorian sash lock that I’ve repurposed as a latch for the bathroom transom.
There are also doorknobs to install. This is another collection of odd things I’ve collected in the past and it is such a pleasure to get these out of boxes so that they can be enjoyed. The idea is that each door will have a different knob set so that wondering around the place will provide numerous opportunities for discovery. In my next post, I will talk about what it takes to get this hardware back in usable condition.
Oh, and for our ghost hunting friends, there is a new video. Watch for the cat. Max makes his movie debut.